Monday 21 January 2013

Starting with a Classic...

Well, this is my first Blog! The reason behind this blog is to keep a record of recipes and to follow similar blogs about baking and cooking. I am by NO means an expert! I made it my new years resolution in 2012 to learn to cook. It had some ups and downs, (including burnt brownies and white gravy) but I have learnt a huge amount and want to carry on trying to make new things in the hope I will get better! This resolution stemmed from the desire to collect recipes from cookbooks, the internet, even T.V shows and to have a scrapbook filled with amazing recipes that I can make for my children one day... BUT why have a book when you can have a blog!? Storing all these ideas, pictures and stories online seemed like a great way to do it, and I hope that maybe someone out there might find my tried and tested recipes helpful.

I thought I would start of with an absolute classic! The Red Velvet Cupcake! I have never made them before, or eaten one for that matter! So I thought I would trek through the snow to get some inspiration from the King of the American cupcake, The Hummingbird Bakery. It was SO worth it!

Red Velvet Cupcake at the Hummingbird Bakery, Soho.

After seeing the ultimate Red Velvet Cupcake I was ready to try it myself! I used a recipe from a Marks and Spencer cookbook called The Kitchen Encyclopaedia. They turned out fab and I was very pleased, however, next time I would half the cocoa powder and be more confident with the food colouring as they didn't come out as a red as I would have liked (good thing I had red cake cases!). Also the frosting needed thickening up to decorate.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
                                                                                                                           
Ingredients
140g Plain Flour                                                                                    
1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
2 tblsps Cocoa powder
115g Butter
140g Caster sugar
125ml Buttermilk
1 tsp Vinilla Extract
1 Egg
1 tbsp Red food colouring
Frosting:
140g Full-fat soft cheese
85g Butter
280g Icing sugar

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 180 degees/350 F/Gas mark 4.
  • Mix flour, bicarb and cocoa powder.
  • In another bowl, beat together butter and sugar, then add the egg and half the flour mixture.
  • Beat in the buttermilk, vanilla and food colouring and proceed to fold in the remaining flour.
  • Divide evenly between twelve cases and bake for 15-20 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
  • For the frosting, mix the butter and cheese and then add the icing sugar until creamy. 
To decorate this book had a great tip to make red sugar! Just put a few drops of food colouring on granulated or caster sugar and mix, was really effective and so simple! If you prefer you can decorate the Hummingbird way by using some left over sponge to spinkle on top. Also here is a link to some information about buttermilk if you have not used it before or cannot find it, I bought mine in a Whole Food store and it is not expensive. 

These are fantastic cakes for those with a sweet tooth and this recipe made cupcakes that were .. moist (I hate that word) and a perfect shape.  If anyone uses this recipe let me know how yours turned out! 



















P.S Don't miss The Great British Bake Off Comic Relief Special tonight at 8.30pm on BBC2. I worship Mary Berry! 


No comments:

Post a Comment